Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Recessionista Heaven: eBay

Although there are many online sites that offer great bargains, I wanted the first one that I wrote about to be eBay. Let’s face it; it was one of the first and still definitely the best place for Canadians to buy luxury items at a discount.
There are some drawbacks to eBay, including the listing of counterfeit or fake items as well as shipping and customs charges but if you are a savvy shopper, you can definitely get a great deal.
I always start by narrowing my search to Canadian merchants first. This way I avoid duties and shipping charges are usually considerably less. If I can’t find what I want in Canada, I do a North America search next and then widen my search to the rest of the world. There are some exceptions. I stay away from buying from China and Japan because Chinese laws on counterfeiting are much more lax than they are in North America. Don’t get me wrong, there are good and bad sellers in China as there are anywhere else in the world, but I prefer not to risk it unless I can be absolutely certain the item I’m getting is authentic.
Make sure you ask questions when bidding on items, especially if they do not mention that the item is authentic. A purse made from “Gucci material” is not the same thing as an “authentic Gucci purse.” Send an email to the seller asking specifically if the item is authentic and where they purchased the item. When a seller responds that they bought the item in a specific store, it is a good sign. Getting the item as a gift or purchasing it from eBay on the other hand are excuses for the sellers to say they had no idea the item was counterfeit and that they “assumed” the item was real.
EBay has been sued by several luxury companies in the past few years and so they are much more diligent about removing fake items. Also, when you buy with PayPal, you can ask for your money back if you suspect the item you have been shipped is a fake.
I once purchased a D&G coat on eBay and realized when it arrived that it was fake. I emailed the seller and asked for my money back in exchange for not charging them with fraud. It’s funny how people are quick to send your money back when they know they could face prison time.
In any case, like everywhere else, eBay is really a place where the buyer must be aware. There are several guides on the site explaining how to spot a fake bag or fake outfit. Read the guides and make sure what you’re buying corresponds with the real item as far as materials, markings, etc. If you have done your homework and asked all the right questions, you should be able to find yourself a great deal. And in the off chance that you receive a fake, contact the seller through their resolution department and report them to eBay and PayPal so you can get your money back.
That being said, eBay will always have a special place in a Recessionista’s heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment